Privacy Notice & Cookies Policy
Last updated May 2018 for GDPR compliancy
We’ve created a short simple-to-read version of our privacy notice which gives an overview of what data we collect and how we use it. We explain about this in more detail in the full detailed version that follows below.
General Privacy Statement
At Bathroom Discount Centre, we are committed to maintaining the trust and confidence of visitors to our website, customers that have purchased from us and subscribers to our newsletter. Here you’ll find information on how we treat data that we collect from visitors to our website, from customers who have purchased products on our website or when someone subscribes to our newsletter.
Visitors to our website
When someone visits www.bathdisc.co.uk, we use third party tracking services such as Google Analytics to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this so we can collect statistics on various metrics like the number of times our pages are being viewed and how many times the same visitor may return to a page on our website. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. You can find more information on how cookies are used on this website and what the cookies are and do, in the ‘Cookies Policy’ below.
Sign up to our website
As part of our website account registration process, we collect personal information including your name and your email address. We use this information so that we can send you email notifications about your order and other related updates should you decide to purchase from our website. Should we need to contact you for any other reason, then we would do so primarily by email. We do not share your email address with any other organisation or third party nor do we sell any personal data from the visitors that sign up to our website.
Links to other websites
Access to your personal information
You can view any of the personal data that we store by logging into your account on our website and viewing the ‘Account Information’ page. This is where you can modify your personal details and in the ‘Address Book’ page, you can modify your addresses that we have on record for you.
We use a system of classifying the different types of cookies which we use on our website, or which may be used by third parties through our websites. The classification was developed by the International Chamber of Commerce UK and explains more about which cookies we use, why we use them, and the functionality you will lose if you decide you don't want to have them on your device.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your personal computer, mobile or other device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user's device.
How long are cookies stored for?
Persistent cookies - these cookies remain on a user's device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the website that created that particular cookie.
Session cookies - these cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience.
Cookies used on our website
A list of all the cookies used on our website is set out below in our full detailed policy.
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies enable services you have specifically asked for. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around our website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website like your account pages.
These cookies collect anonymous information on the pages visited. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
These cookies collect information about how visitors use our website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from any web pages. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how our website works.
These cookies remember choices you make to improve your experience. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make (such as your username, language or the region you are in, product sort preferences / views) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
Third party cookies
These cookies allow third parties to track the success of their application or customise the application for you. Because of how cookies work we cannot access these cookies, nor can the third parties access the data in cookies used on our site.
For example, if you choose to ‘share’ content through Facebook, Twitter or other social networks you might be sent cookies from these websites. We don't control the setting of these cookies, so please check those websites for more information about their cookies and how to manage them.
For full details of our privacy statement including what personal data we collect, track and use, please refer to the full notice below:-
- We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of visitors to our website and customers who have purchased from us.
- This policy applies where we are acting as a data controller with respect to the personal data of visitors to our website and customers who have purchased from us; in other words, where we determine the purposes and means of the processing of that personal data.
- Our website incorporates privacy controls which affect how we will process your personal data. By using the privacy controls, you can specify whether you would like to receive direct marketing communications and limit the publication of your information. You can access whether you wish to receive newsletter emails from us from the ‘Newsletter Subscriptions’ item in your account.
- In this policy, "we", "us" and "our" refer to Bathroom Discount Centre (a trading name of Merchant Management Limited). For more information about us, see Section 19.
How we use your personal data
- In this Section 2 we have set out:
- the general categories of personal data that we may process;
- in the case of personal data that we did not obtain directly from you, the source and specific categories of that data;
- the purposes for which we may process personal data; and
- the legal bases of the processing.
- We may process data about your use of our website ("usage data"). The usage data may include your IP address, geographical location, browser type and version, operating system, referral source, length of visit, page views and website navigation paths, as well as information about the timing, frequency and pattern of your service use. The source of the usage data is Google Analytics. This usage data may be processed for the purposes of analysing the use of the website. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely monitoring and improving our website.
- We may process your account data ("account data"). The account data may include your name and email address. The source of the account data is you. The account data may be processed for the purposes of operating our website, providing our services, ensuring the security of our website and services, maintaining back-ups of our databases and communicating with you. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of our website and business.
- We may process your information included in your personal profile on our website ("profile data"). The profile data may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, profile pictures, gender, date of birth, employment details. The profile data may be processed for the purposes of tailoring any requested information and marketing to you specifically.
- We may process your personal data that are provided in the course of the use of our services ("service data"). The service data may include any personal details you are prompted to provide. The source of the service data is you. The service data may be processed for the purposes of operating our website and providing our services.
- We may process information that you post for publication on our website or through our services ("publication data"). The publication data may be processed for the purposes of enabling such publication and administering our website and services. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of our website and business and minimising potential abuse and spam in public facing areas of our website.
- We may process information contained in any enquiry you submit to us regarding goods and/or services ("enquiry data"). The enquiry data may be processed for the purposes of offering, marketing and selling relevant goods and/or services to you. The legal basis for this processing is for us to be able to communicate back to you in relation to your enquiry.
- We may process information relating to our customer relationships, including customer contact information ("customer relationship data"). The customer relationship data may include your name, the business you represent, your job title or role, your contact details, and information contained in communications between us and you or your business. The source of the customer relationship data is you or a representative for your business. The customer relationship data may be processed for the purposes of managing our relationships with customers, communicating with customers, keeping records of those communications and promoting our products and services to customers. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper management of our customer relationships.
- We may process information relating to transactions, including purchases of goods and services, that you enter into with us and/or through our website ("transaction data"). The transaction data may include your contact details, your card details (partly and is encrypted) and the transaction details. The transaction data may be processed for the purpose of supplying the purchased goods and services and keeping proper records of those transactions. The legal basis for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract and our legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of our website and business.
- We may process information that you provide to us for the purpose of subscribing to our email notifications and/or newsletters ("notification data"). The notification data may be processed for the purposes of sending you the relevant notifications and/or newsletters that you have requested from us. The legal basis for this processing is the performance of a contract between you and us and/or taking steps, at your request, to enter into such a contract (should you have purchased from our website) and so that we can deliver you content by email that you have explicitly requested/agreed to.
- We may process information contained in or relating to any communication that you send to us ("correspondence data"). The correspondence data may include the communication content and metadata associated with the communication. Our website will generate the metadata associated with communications made using the website contact forms. The correspondence data may be processed for the purposes of communicating with you and record-keeping. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper administration of our website and business and communications with visitors/customers.
- We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the protection and assertion of our legal rights, your legal rights and the legal rights of others.
- We may process any of your personal data identified in this policy where necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, or obtaining professional advice. The legal basis for this processing is our legitimate interests, namely the proper protection of our business against risks.
- In addition to the specific purposes for which we may process your personal data set out in this Section 2, we may also process any of your personal data where such processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
- Please do not supply any other person's personal data to us, unless we prompt you to do so.
- In this Section 2 we have set out:
- We will use your personal data for the purposes of automated decision-making in relation to sending you emails about your order should you have purchased from our website.
- This automated decision-making will involve sending you any information and update relating to your order(s) on our website so that you are kept up to date with the processing and delivery accordingly.
- The significance and possible consequences of this automated decision-making are that you can receive potentially multiple emails from us.
Providing your personal details to others
- We may disclose your personal data to any member of our group of companies (this means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and all its subsidiaries) insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes, and on the legal bases, set out in this policy.
- We may disclose your personal data to our insurers and/or professional advisers insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of obtaining or maintaining insurance coverage, managing risks, obtaining professional advice, or the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure.
- Financial transactions relating to our website are handled by our payment services providers, Worldpay and Paypal. We will share transaction data with our payment services providers only to the extent necessary for the purposes of processing your payments, refunding such payments and dealing with complaints and queries relating to such payments and refunds. You can find information about the payment services providers' privacy policies and practices at Worldpay and Paypal.
- We may disclose your personal data to the courier companies that we use insofar as reasonably necessary for the purposes of delivering the products that you have purchased from our website.
- In addition to the specific disclosures of personal data set out in this Section 4, we may disclose your personal data where such disclosure is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person. We may also disclose your personal data where such disclosure is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims, whether in court proceedings or in an administrative or out-of-court procedure.
International transfers of your personal data
- In this Section 5, we provide information about the circumstances in which your personal data may be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
- We do not have any properties or divisions relating to our business or website outside of the UK nor do we work with any service providers, including the hosting and infrastructure our website is operated on outside of the UK.
Retaining and deleting personal data
- This Section 6 sets out our data retention policies and procedure, which are designed to help ensure that we comply with our legal obligations in relation to the retention and deletion of personal data.
- Personal data that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- We will retain your personal data as follows:
- The personal data supplied from our customers (defined by purchasing on our website) will be retained indefinitely, unless a written request to delete said information from our systems has been received from the customer.
- Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section 6, we may retain your personal data where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
Security of personal data
- We will take appropriate technical and organisational precautions to secure your personal data and to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal data.
- We will store all your personal data on secure servers, personal computers and mobile devices, and in secure manual record-keeping systems.
- The following personal data will be stored by us in encrypted form: password(s) and cardholder data.
- Data relating to your enquiries and financial transactions that is sent from your web browser to our web server, or from our web server to your web browser, will be protected using encryption technology.
- You acknowledge that the transmission of unencrypted or inadequately encrypted data over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
- You should ensure that your password is not susceptible to being guessed, whether by a person or a computer program. You are responsible for keeping the password you use for accessing our website confidential and we will not ask you for your password (except when you log in to our website).
- We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website.
- You should check this page occasionally to ensure you are happy with any changes to this policy (we include a last updated date at the top of the notice).
- We may notify you of significant changes to this policy by email.
- In this Section 9, we have summarised the rights that you have under data protection law. Some of the rights are complex, and not all of the details have been included in our summaries. Accordingly, you should read the relevant laws and guidance from the regulatory authorities for a full explanation of these rights.
- Your principal rights under data protection law are:
- (a) the right to access;
- (b) the right to rectification;
- (c) the right to erasure;
- (d) the right to restrict processing;
- (e) the right to object to processing;
- (f) the right to data portability;
- (g) the right to complain to a supervisory authority; and
- (h) the right to withdraw consent.
- You have the right to confirmation as to whether or not we process your personal data and, where we do, access to the personal data, together with certain additional information. That additional information includes details of the purposes of the processing, the categories of personal data concerned and the recipients of the personal data. Providing the rights and freedoms of others are not affected, we will supply to you a copy of your personal data. The first copy will be provided free of charge, but additional copies may be subject to a reasonable fee. You can access your personal data by visiting your account when logged into our website.
- You have the right to have any inaccurate personal data about you rectified and, taking into account the purposes of the processing, to have any incomplete personal data about you completed.
- In some circumstances you have the right to the erasure of your personal data without undue delay. Those circumstances include: the personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purposes for which they were collected or otherwise processed; you withdraw consent to consent-based processing; you object to the processing under certain rules of applicable data protection law; the processing is for direct marketing purposes; and the personal data have been unlawfully processed. However, there are exclusions of the right to erasure. The general exclusions include where processing is necessary: for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information; for compliance with a legal obligation; or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- In some circumstances you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data. Those circumstances are: you contest the accuracy of the personal data; processing is unlawful but you oppose erasure; we no longer need the personal data for the purposes of our processing, but you require personal data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; and you have objected to processing, pending the verification of that objection. Where processing has been restricted on this basis, we may continue to store your personal data. However, we will only otherwise process it: with your consent; for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person; or for reasons of important public interest.
- You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data on grounds relating to your particular situation, but only to the extent that the legal basis for the processing is that the processing is necessary for: the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of any official authority vested in us; or the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party. If you make such an objection, we will cease to process the personal information unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes (including profiling for direct marketing purposes). If you make such an objection, we will cease to process your personal data for this purpose.
- You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data for scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes on grounds relating to your particular situation, unless the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out for reasons of public interest.
- To the extent that the legal basis for our processing of your personal data is:
- (a) consent; or
- (b) that the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract, and such processing is carried out by automated means, you have the right to receive your personal data from us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. However, this right does not apply where it would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
- If you consider that our processing of your personal information infringes data protection laws, you have a legal right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do so in the EU member state of your habitual residence, your place of work or the place of the alleged infringement.
- To the extent that the legal basis for our processing of your personal information is consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of processing before the withdrawal.
- You may exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal data by written notice to us or contacting us via our website.
Third party websites
- Our website includes hyperlinks to, and details of, third party websites.
- We have no control over, and are not responsible for, the privacy policies and practices of any third parties.
Personal data of children
- Our website is targeted at persons over the age of 16 which is the minimum age you can obtain a debit card from a bank in the UK in order to purchase online.
- If we have reason to believe that we hold personal data of a person under that age in our databases, we will delete that personal data.
- Please let us know if the personal information that we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated should you for any reason, be unable to update this yourself in your account on our website.
- A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server.
- Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies or "session" cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
- Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies.
Cookies that we use
- Our website is built upon the Magento eCommerce platform and you can view the full list of used cookies on our website in the below table.
Cookies used by our service providers
- Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies and to delete cookies. The methods for doing so vary from browser to browser, and from version to version. You can however obtain up-to-date information about blocking and deleting cookies via these links:
- Blocking all cookies will have a negative impact upon the usability of many websites.
- If you block cookies, you will not be able to use all the features on our website.
- You can allow or decline cookies on our website by clicking ‘Accept’ or ‘Decline’ in the cookie notice that appears at the top of our website when you visit our website for the first time.
- List of cookies that we collect...
The association with your shopping cart.
Stores the category info on the page, that allows to display pages more quickly.
The items that you have in the ‘Compare Products’ list.
Your preferred currency.
An encrypted version of your customer id with the store.
An indicator if you are currently logged into the store.
Stores the ‘Customer Segment ID’.
A flag, which indicates whether caching is disabled or not.
Your session ID on the server.
Allows guests to edit their orders.
The last category you visited.
The most recent product you have viewed.
Indicates whether a new message has been received.
Indicates whether it is allowed to use cache.
A link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site.
The ID of any polls you have recently voted in.
Information on what polls you have voted on.
The items that you have recently compared.
Information on products you have emailed to friends.
The store view or language you have selected.
The products that you have recently viewed.
An encrypted list of products added to your ‘Wishlist’.
The number of items in your ‘Wishlist’.
- This website is owned and operated by Merchant Management Limited.
- We are registered in England and Wales under registration number 01569803, and our registered office is at 297 Munster Road, London, SW6 6BW.
- Our principal place of business is at 297 Munster Road, London, SW6 6BW.
- You can contact us:
Data protection officer
- Our data protection officer's contact details are:
297 Munster Road
- Our data protection officer's contact details are: